Summary/Objective: The Direct Support Professional is responsible for direct support and supervision of individuals served in the ICF/ID, including implementation of individual program plans and teaching daily living skills.
Essential Job Functions:
Imagine Team Expectations:
Essential Job Functions:
- Report issues of concern to the Supervisor.Offer ideas and suggestions for resolution of concerns.Use appropriate methods and channels of communication.
- Provide input to the ICF/ID Director or QIDP for the development of individual goals and objectives.
- Follow individual program plans and implement programs as written.
- Teach individuals rather than doing for them.
- Use behavior strategies to support individuals with challenging behaviors.Implement behavior programs and follow as written.
- Complete Range of Motion exercises as written.
- Follow active treatment schedules and use time effectively to meet the needs of individuals served.
- Be an active advocate for individuals receiving services to have greater control over their lives.Encourage individual choice and decision-making.
- Apply rights restrictions only as determined necessary by the IDT and included in the individual plan of the person served.
- Engage individuals in purposeful, meaningful activities.Encourage individuals to participate in community activities to their fullest extent possible.Make activities fun and meaningful to individuals served.
- Direct Support responsibilities:
- Complete required data collection accurately and promptly.
- Complete incident/accident and behavior reports accurately and promptly.
- Take pride in the appearance and cleanliness of individuals served.
- Provide for the safety of the individuals served with the least amount of intrusion as possible.
- Complete duties and tasks as assigned per shift.
- Respect the property of individuals served (e.g., care of clothing, wheelchairs, personal items).
- Promote a family atmosphere at mealtime by appropriate conversation, family style serving, etc.
- Work shifts as scheduled.
- Find a replacement if unable to work a scheduled shift.
- Follow the call-in procedure.
- Work weekends and holidays as scheduled.
- Safe cooking/handling responsibilities:
- Assist in food preparation, following approved menus, physicians’ orders, and health and safety policies.
- Ensure proper food storage and handling procedures are followed.
- Ensure all dishes are cleaned, sterilized, and stored properly.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Imagine Team Expectations:
- Willingly assume additional responsibility to support team efforts.
- Maintain confidentiality.Promote the dignity of others by protecting individuals served, co-workers, and agency privacy.
- Contribute appropriately to the changing conditions of the agency and individuals served and react to change productively.
- Use professional ethics in carrying out job duties.
- Communicate with all individuals in an honest and open manner, unless to do so would contraindicate an individual treatment plan.
- Ensure health, safety, and welfare of individuals served.
- Treat individuals served, coworkers, supervisors, and other associates with care, courtesy, and respect.
- Look for and suggest ways to continually improve our services.
- Maintain a professional appearance and comply with dress code.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.Regular and predictable attendance is an essential element of this position.Patterns of absences or tardiness are not acceptable.
- Serve as a positive role model.
- Portray a positive image of Imagine the Possibilities, Inc. when representing the agency.
- Build a sense of unity and purpose among coworkers, supervisors, and individuals served by working as a team member.
- Ensure all Imagine the Possibilities, Inc. policies and procedures are followed, including the Compliance and Integrity Program and Safety.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- TB testing in compliance with CDC guidelines and State recommendations.
- May require lifting at times, up to 35 pounds.Lifting more than 35 pounds requires the use of a two-person lift, mechanical lift, or assistive equipment.
- May require prolonged sitting and working at a computer for up to eight hours.
- May require frequent bending, stooping, and stretching.
- May require prolonged standing for up to eight hours.
- Must wear hearing and eye protection in required areas.
- Must have ability to see objects/persons at a distance.
- Must have ability to see close work such as typed or handwritten material.
- Must have ability to hear conversations in a quiet and a noisy environment.
- Must have ability to determine where a sound is coming from.
- Must have ability to hear differences among bells, buzzers, beeps, horns, etc.
- Must have ability to communicate through speech.
Travel: Limited travel is expected for this position.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- One year’s experience or education in working with individuals requiring 24-hour support.
- At least 18 years of age with High School Diploma or GED.
- Basic computer skills including MS Word.
- Background checks with previous employers, references, law enforcement agencies, and others will be conducted and found satisfactory.
- Valid driver’s license and driver’s record deemed acceptable by Imagine the Possibilities, Inc.