Village of Hampton
The area was first called McNeil's Landing after Henry McNeil, who settled here around 1827. Later Joel Thompson came and requested a post office with the name of Milan. He learned there was already a Milan and the post office department assigned the name of Hampton on February 1, 1838.
Since its establishment in 1838, Hampton has evolved from a major river boat stop in its hay day to the quiet bedroom community it is today.